"give thanks ... for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

________________________________________

Move your mouse over links like this: Ephesians 5:10
________________________________________


Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Brief history of my cameras past and present



Cameras so far: (I'll fill in details as I recover them).
(Updated Feb. 4, 2013, 8:45 a.m. Aug. 21, 2013, Aug 23, 2013 Nov. 15, 2015)

Film:

Kodak Brownie Hawkeye - 620 film. I remember developing my own film in a cereal bowl in the closet - I was 12 (circa 1963)

The Unknown Camera -In the history of things, there is a camera in this spot, one that I found at Niagara Falls. I have a mental image of it, but can't remember the name and model.

Nikon F -SLR 35mm film - "found it";
sold it to my dad (long story, informed the police, waited a year, then it was declared ours); I was around 13 (1963/1964).

Argus/Cosina STL 1000 - SLR 35 mm (used it for a couple of weddings)

  • During the winter of '72-'73 I had a fairly well stocked darkroom (processing b/w film & prints) in a large walk-in closet

Olympus OM10 - SLR 35 mm, not a happy camera. Purchased it for our one-year internship in the Philippines ('79-'80). Needed repair - sent to Japan; never really worked properly. It had a good lens.

Olympus OM-2n - SLR 35 mm -- still my best camera. Bought the body during the early 80's and used the lens from the OM10 (used the OM-2n for Pete and Angela's wedding)
  • For this Camera, the OM-2n, I have a bag full of filters, lenses, screens, and many other accessories.
  • From 1982 till 1988 I had a terrific Darkroom that I built in the basement of the house at 2830 Rae St. Regina, Sask. I processed b/w film and prints and also large colour prints as well as slides to print; it was a great hobby.

Digital:

Kodak's PalmPix 0.6 mp! for the Palm IIIxe and equivalents- still functions
Sony Mavica MVC-FD90; 1.6 mp!!! stored on 3.5" floppy disks (remember them?); this camera was lent to me for my trip to West Africa. Later it was given to me -- thanks to Fred Boven.

Canon S30 (3.2 mp) -sold to Aaron - took fabulous photos notably my trip to China

Canon G5 (5 mp) -sold to Jason - still in use, now given to Aaron.

Canon SD-110 (3.2 mp) - retired, but still have it.
Took great shots, but has developed a problem with the screen (I've tried fixing it).
 
Nokia 6265i cell phone: (2 mp camera used only if absolutely necessary, it has an odd pink "glow" in the centre of the photo - many complained about it)
-- retired.

Canon S3 IS (6mp) - gave it to Jason who continues to do great things with it



Canon SX10 IS (10mp) - retired August 2013. A great future is planned for it. I think I gave it to Jason.

Canon SD-880 IS (10mp)-
my every day in-the-pocket-camera; retired January 2013. Gave it to my niece, Renessa Visser, Aug 22, 2013. I've seen her work with cameras and I'm sure she has an eye for a good photo.

Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (Android Smartphone)  2010- 2013 Takes a fine shot.Retired.

Asus Transformer TF300T
Takes fine photos and videos- Jean uses the tab now.

Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS20K Current 2013 Jan - ? 
To replace the Canon SD880IS. This is my pocket/travel camera. Yes, I read all the reviews, and for pixel-peepers this camera produces "noisier" photos than some will find acceptable.

But for $299, and for what I was looking for -- a replacement for my Canon SD880IS and yet fits easily into my pocket -- well, this is the camera.  And so far, I'm loving it.

Update: I soon discovered that the design of this camera (the world's thinnest 20x zoom), is such that when the camera turns on and the lens zooms out, there's so much going on inside that a vacuum is created sucking dust in which can end up inside the lens or more likely right onto the sensor. Earlier models in the series could be opened up and cleaned by handy, adventuresome folk like myself, but the ZS20 has a different sensor alignment/mounting system, which best be left alone. I tried and got as far as the sensor mounting screws, but soon realized that going the next could give me a heap of trouble.  I brought the thing to Panasonic's repair depot near Toronto, and within the hour they had it fixed under warranty. The technician's advise was to keep it in a seal-able plastic bag. I've done that ever since and all is well.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200  2013 Aug - July 22, 2015
This camera replaced my Canon SX10IS (which is still a fabulous camera - I gave it to Jason who continues to take excellent photos).
It's been said that the main competitor to the FZ200 is the Canon SX50 which has an enormous zoom lens. But in the end, the FZ200 won my vote, and it was on sale making the cost advantage of the SX50 moot. I have not regretted the purchase. Plus, Graham Houghton has posted some very fine instructional videos on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/ghough12

I sold my FZ200 to Carson Visser, who seems to be enjoying it fully.  I'm glad about that, because I really liked the FZ200.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 At some point during the summer of 2015, I succumbed and purchased the FZ1000.  I had waffled between another bridge camera and DSLR, but I find there are so many advantages to the bridge camera (please, can we just call it the fixed lens camera), that I opted for the FZ1000 and love it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900W8) It's a phone, a fabulous phone, a serious computer, really, with a fine camera.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S (SM-T800), this is the greatest tab I've had. An amazing battery, a fantastic screen- photos and video look great on it.


 

3 comments:

Jason said...

Just wanted to let you know that this post was a great read. And yes, I still love the G5, it's a wonderful camera that takes excellent photos. It has a few dead/stuck pixels and is a little slow, but otherwise still works perfectly.

Ed said...

The G5 has some fine features that make it a very versatile camera. There are some programs around to deal with that.

Anonymous said...

Ed, that's an impressive list of equipment, though I did notice that your video cameras were mysteriously absent from the list.

I had forgotten about your Palm camera. That thing is great!